The MIDIbox Hardware Platform
The MIDIbox Hardware Platform is the consequential continuation of my work on MIDI controllers in the last years. It brings down every design to one standardized environment with reusable and exchangeable modules.
Well, this method is nothing new, did you ever saw the inner life of an old television, or a HIFI system, or a computer, or - of course - a modular synthesizer system? All are consisting of smaller or larger units, which interact over dedicated interfaces. This way of thinking, which simplifies the understanding of complex technical applications, is now also promoted by the MBHP.
The focus of the platform:
- well defined and documented modules
- small, uncomplicated circuits
- realizable on PCBs (single-layer) and prototype boards
- PCBs designed with a freeware CAD program
- different applications for different configurations
- open for future extensions by other hobbyists
- programming examples in the MIOS Download section
Here are some example diagramms of MIDI applications which can be realized with MBHP - note that all examples are based on the old PIC16F designs, please check also the MIOS Introduction page!
If you are searching for the most flexible solution to build a MIDI Controller, have a look at the MIDIbox NG project, which supports almost all MBHP modules!
Available MBHP Modules
Please use the navigation bar at the left side to display the informations about the official MBHP modules.
PCBs and Kits
Schematics and PCB layouts are published on the MBHP pages for people who want to etch the boards at home, or customize the layouts for their own purposes.
Alternatively, premade PCBs and even complete Kits can be ordered at:
- Modular Addict's MIDIbox Shop: located in USA (ships worldwide) - PCBs, Kits, preburned PICs, Encoders, Potentiometers, LEDs, and other MIDIbox parts.
- Mikes Elektronikseite: located in Germany (ships worldwide too) - PCBs, Kits, preburned PIC18F452, Parts
Compare prices and service before ordering!
Last update: 2019-05-24
Copyright © 1998-2019, Thorsten Klose. All rights reserved.