MIDIbox SEQ V4 Change Log
Last Release: 2017-11-05
Current firmware, schematics, additional infos are located at http://www.uCApps.de/midibox_seq.html.
- fixed LED handling for common frontpanels (e.g. MUTE LED stayed active regardless of selected view)
- support for Antilog Frontpanel.
The appr. HW configuration file can be found under hwcfg/antilog/MBSEQ_HW.V4
- enhanced COPY/PASTE/CLEAR functions for following pages:
- PATTERN page: copy/paste/clears all patterns.
Special function: by pressing COPY+PASTE the patterns will be pasted into the next slots
- PARSEL page: copy/paste/clears the currently selected parameter layer only
- TRGSEL page: copy/paste/clears the currently selected trigger layer only
- INSSEL page: copy/paste/clears the currently selected instrument only
(useful for drums: corresponding trigger any parameter layers are cleared)
- improved ALL button behaviour
- New worflow for PATTERN page: GP 1/2, 5/6, 9/10, 13/14 allow to select group as well
(especially interesting for Antilog Frontpanel: Selection buttons can be used for mutes)
- New worflow for MUTE page: whenever a track or parameter layer is unmuted, it will be automatically selected
- EDIT page: improved handling for chord layers
- moved some configuration settings which were previously part of the
MBSEQ_HW.V4 file to the Options page, so that they can be changed without
a file editor:
- MIDI remote key (or CC)
- Track Selection CC
- MIDI OUT Runtime Status Optimisation
- MENU button assignments
- support for "Shadow Out", which will forward the MIDI events of the currently selected
track to a specified MIDI port and channel (e.g. can be used to visualize played notes
with an external device). Select the port/channel in the OPTIONS page.
- Metronome page removed. Please configure the metronome function in the Options page.
- Pattern banks can't be modified by default anymore, because they are typically
assigned to group 1/2/3/4, changed bank assignments can confused users
to much. If somebody still finds this feature useful: it can be enabled in the
- new parameter type "Chord3" provides an alternative set of 108 chords.
Thanks to EsotericLabs for providing the chord table!
- notes in edit screen are displayed transposed now
- drum tracks: random probability layer now working as intended
- layers are now initialized for 6 notes polyphony by default (8 layers, 128 steps)
- optionally pattern changes don't re-send the PC/bank settings.
This option can be configured in the UTILITY->Options menu (item #4/18)
- new parameter layers for track specific root note and scale
Root selection strategy: if Root is assigned to any parameter
layer of a track, the layer can either select the global root
selection ("Glb") or set the root note for each step explicitely.
The global root selection is configured in the FX->Scale page,
it's either "Keyb" (for MIDI keyboard entry) or C, C#, ... B
The local root selection is C, C#, ... B
Notes and Chords will be transposed accordingly if the track is in
Normal mode (and not in Transpose or Arpeggiator mode)
Similar for Scale: it can override the globally configured scale
of the FX->Scale page for each step.
- new drum configurations: 4*16/2*64, 4*16/2*128, 4*16/1*256
- new configuration option in Track Mode page: "Note Last/First"
Allows to specify, if the transposer should take the last or first
played note (previously it always played the last note)
- new configuration option in Track Mode page: "STrg" (Step Trigger).
If activated, the step progression will be controlled from the transposer
bus, hence it can either be triggered from a loopback track or from an
external MIDI device (MIDI keyboard, sequencer, etc.)
Note that each track can be assigned to a dedicated transpose bus
(4 busses are available), this allows to control 4 independent step progressions
for all 16 tracks.
- individual steps of CC, PitchBender, Program Change and Aftertouch
layers can now be disabled so that they won't play.
Turn the encoder to the rightmost position (value 128)
Also the init value has been changed: for these layers, the steps
are now disabled by default.
For CCs please change the init value by yourself in the UTIL->OPT
page (option #12: Initial CC value)
- new behaviour of CLEAR button in recording mode:
it clears only the selected step (instead of the entire pattern).
During live recording it will clear the "played" steps while the
button is pressed.
- new CC functions which can be configured in MIDI->ExtCtrl. page:
- Play/Stop: allows to assign the PLAY button to a CC
- Record: allows to assign the RECORD button to a CC
- new option in Groove page: Sync
Allows to sync the groove to the global reference step (RefS)
or to the local track step
- fixed G# transpose
- new parameter type "Chord2" provides an alternative set of 32 chords
- new parameter type "Aftertouch" allows to send and record channel pressure events
- CPU load display has been re-adjusted for LPC17 and STM32F4
- hwcfg/wilba*/MBSEQ_HW.V4: default F1-F4 assignments changed to:
F1: Track Select, F2: Live Forwarding, F3: Recording, F4: Save All
- MBSEQ_HW.V4: added new button/LED functions: FX, MOVE, SCROLL
- MBSEQ_HW.V4: added new LED_MEASURE function which will activate a LED
when the first step of the measure is played.
- CC Parameter layer label now prints "#" instead of "CC"
- Jam page: AStart now starts to record into first step in
live recording mode (as intended), it starts on the selected step
in step recording mode
- Purpose of Record and Live Button & LED change:
they switch between record (and live) mode w/o changing to the Jam page
- new button/LED combo: JAM_LIVE and JAM_STEP: they switch to the JAM
page and select Live resp. Step recording mode
- BLM16x16+X keyboard can now record into any track
- Transpose page now allows selection based on Scale
- New option page item #10 "Initial Gate Trigger Layer"
(empty or trigger on each 4th step)
- Event configuration page: new drum track configuration 2*64/2*128
- AOUT: added suskey function (AKA fingered portamento: slew rate only
enabled if more than 2 keys are played)
This function can be enabled in the CV Configuration page
- removed obsolete (non-working) pattern based scale control
- fixed LED behaviour in Step View page (corrected display if page is deselected)
- various minor bugfixes & improvements
- Fx->Scale page: the configured scale is now displayed at the right
half of the page
- Track duplication now also possible with COPY+PASTE in UTILITY page
- Track selections (Parameter/Trigger Layer, instrument, step view)
can now be handled individually for each track.
This function can be enabled in the UTILITY->Opt menu (item #9/16)
- added BLM fader configuration to UTILITY->Opt menu (item #14/16)
Up to 8 faders can be connected to the BLM16x16+X
They can send a CC value either to a statically assigned Port/Chn, or to
the Port/Chn defined by the track.
Optionally value can be sent with inverted polarity (turn encoder beyond CC#127).
Additional (internal) functions can be added in future.
- BLM in keyboard mode: transpose only takes place if track not in normal
(no transpose) mode!
- if a track plays a sustained note, and doesn't play a step anymore
(all gates cleared), the sustain will be cancled now
- improved Auto Start in Jam page
- Jam recording options are now stored/restored in/from session
- SONG button has now the same function like the SELECT button: it shows
a configuration page. This makes it more consistent to the EDIT button.
In future, the SELECT button might get a new function in SONG page.
- Song mode: if Steps per Measure < Steps for Pattern synchronisation, the
song sequencer will already switch to the next pattern with the next measure.
- added DIN testmode which can be enabled from the MIOS terminal with the
"set din_testmode on" command to display button and encoder movements.
- added "Roll Gate" as new optional trigger layer assignment.
It gates the Roll or Roll2 value which is configured in a parameter layer.
- Euclid Generator: parameter layer into which the pattern will be copied
Velocity/Accent will only be changed if the first parameter layer is selected.
- it's now possible to quickly duplicate the steps of a track:
press&hold COPY and press the PASTE button
- Groove page: by default, groove configuration changes are applied on all tracks now.
It's possible to select a "local groove" by pressing GP7 button in the groove page.
- BPM page: it's now possible to configure an output delay for each MIDI port.
(positive and negative delays are supported - this is currently an experimental feature!)
- fixed NoteOff in Jam Forwarding mode if FTS, Limit or Humanizer is enabled
- NOTE: due to a RAM capacity issue, the UNDO function is currently not available
for the LPC17 firmware
- improved glide function for polyphonic steps
- BLM16x16+X support for Mute and Solo.
The new functions are available at Extra Row Button #3 and #4
(if a BLM16x8+X is connected, they replace Start/Stop at Extra Row Button #1 and #2)
If Mute active: the extra column buttons mute/unmute tracks
If Solo active: the extra column buttons solo/unsolo tracks
LED Colour coding:
Special Key combinations:
- LED off: Track neither muted nor soloed
- LED green: Track muted
- LED yellow: Track soloed
- LED red: Track muted and soloed - solo has higher priority, therefore track will be played
- ALT+Mute clears all mutes
- ALT+Solo clears all solos
- added Robotizer Fx from Borfo
- added LCD Screensaver.
It will be active after 30 minutes by default.
The time can be changed in the UTIL->OPT menu page.
- added DETENTED4/DETENTED5 option for rotary encoders in MBSEQ_HW.V4 file
- added new parameter layers "Nth1" and "Nth2" which trigger a special action
on each nth bar (Nth1) starting at the 1st bar, or after nth bars (Nth2).
Following trigger conditions are available:
- Pl (Play each nth bar)
- Mu (Mute each nth bar)
- Ac (Accent each nth bar)
- Ro (Roll each nth bar)
- Fx (enable Fx each nth bar)
- Nx (don't enable Fx each nth bar)
- combined Record and Live page to a new single "Jam" page with sub pages
to improve the overview and simplify the configuration.
- added Live Pattern Recording to Jam page which can be used to play and record
customizable arpeggiator sequences.
Available in the Jam page (Utility->Jam->Ptn)
See updated user manual for further information.
- new page: "Track Instrument"
Can be selected with MENU->EVNT->Trk Inst (GP #8) or from the main page (after Track Event item)
Allows to configure the MIDI port, channel and instrument name.
- the new Track Instrument page also allows to select Program Change and Bank (Low/High byte)
If activated, these parameters will be sent when the sequencer is started and on pattern changes.
Please note: a program and bank change can stall your synth so that the first note could be delayed!
Use this function only when the device can handle patch changes quickly!
- added CV_GATE_SR1 and CLK_SR to MBSEQ_HW.V4 config
This is the prefered option to add CV gates and DIN clock/start signals to your MIDIbox SEQ in future.
See also updated HW section in the user manual.
- 8 individual DIN Sync clock outputs with individual divider and pulsewidth values are
provided now. A clock output can optionally be turned to a Start/Stop output.
The outputs are available at the configured CLK_SR DOUT shift register pin D7..D0
(D7=first output, D6=second output, etc...)
The clock parameters can be configured in the CV configuration page.
- Mixer page: channel events can be dumped by pressing the corresponding GP button.
This also allows to prepare different mixer setups, sending to the same channel, triggered
by a GP button
- Mixer page: press SELECT to activate/deactivate "live sending" mode (values are sent
while moving an encoder)
- Mute page: the synchronized mute/unmute option can be temporary overruled by activating
the FAST button function
- improved step recording display for drum tracks
- Selected Datawheel mode in edit page now stored/restored to/from SD Card
- STM32F4: support for bootloader "enforce_usb_device" flag
- MIDI Learn for Drum notes in Track Event configuration page:
on a drum track, press & hold button GP12 to set the drum note
depending on the configured recording port & channel (which has to be
configured in the RECORD page)
- Edit page: press&hold a GP button to record directly into the selected step
- Edit page: config page which was previously visible by pressing the SELECT
button now displayed by pressing&holding EDIT button.
SELECT button now toggles step recording mode
- Edit page: added shortcut to Recording Config (EDIT+GP11/GP12)
- Record page now allows to toggle the FTS and FX flag for MIDI Forwarding
(same flags can be configured in LIVE page)
- Step Recording: note length measurements now also working correctly when
the sequencer is clocked in slave mode.
- Track Event configuration page: VelN/VelA not displayed if they are
not relevant for the selected configuration.
- Clear function will clear all selected tracks
- LFO page: Extra CC can now be disabled/enable with a separate switch
- Echo page: echo can now be enabled/disabled without touching the repeat value
- it's now possible to customize the MENU short cut page in MBSEQ_HW.V4
with the new MENU_SHORTCUT parameter.
See the templates under hwcfg/*/MBSEQ_HW.V4 for further informations.
- the bookmark configuration files (MBSEQ_BM.V4) are using the same
page names like MENU_SHORTCUT instead of numbers.
The old number scheme will be automatically converted to the new names.
- improved keypad (SMS-like) entry of names
- SysEx device page allows to specify a delay between SysEx messages which is
used when a .syx file contains multiple dumps
- each SysEx device page has now a dedicated port/delay configuration which
is stored/restored from the /SYSEX/<device>/DEVCFG.V4 file
- the STM32F4 variant of the firmware supports USB Host mode!
See also this forum article.
- If Force-to-Scale is enabled, the edit screen shows the forced keys at the lower line.
The original value is still displayed at the upper right line.
- Live Page: FTS (Force-To-Scale) not applied on drum tracks anymore
- Options Page: added new option which enforces Force-To-Scale for
BLM16x16+X Grid Edit mode
- Euclid Generator Page: velocities are re-generated automatically whenever
VelN or VelA value is changed
- the optional RECORD button now toggles between RECORD and EDIT page (previously it
only switched to the RECORD page)
- Song page: new action "Unmute all" will unmute all tracks and parameter layers
- Mixer: in the UTIL->Options page it's now possible to define if CC1, CC2, CC3, CC4
should be sent after or before the Program Change event.
- NRPN MSB=127 allows to modify parameters of the currently selected track
- fixed potential hang-up during pattern change which was introduced with V4.081
- Options in LIVE page are now stored in session specific MBSEQ_C.V4 file
- initial release for MBHP_CORE_STM32F4
- added USB MIDI workaround for Windows
- fixed synchronisation issue in Song mode
- SELECT+PASTE transfers the parameter layer, which was active during COPY, to
the current parameter layer.
If a drum track is selected, it's doing this for the trigger layer (and not
for the parameter layer).
- SELECT+CLEAR clears only the current parameter layer.
If a drum track is selected, it's doing this for the trigger layer (and not
for the parameter layer)
- it's now possible to control the track steps with CCs.
Each track has a dedicated CC which has to be configured in the
- it's now possible to turn off the track clock by enabling the new "Manual"
mode in the DIVIDER page. Once enabled, a step will only be played if:
- manually triggered in the MANUAL page
- set with the new CC based step control feature (MIDI->Ext.Ctrl page)
- predefined MIDI events, stored in the track layers, should be manually
triggered (and not sequenced).
E.g. in conjunction with a sampler, you could set each step to a note
which "fires" a certain sample. In addition, you can fire CCs,
Program Change, Aftertouch etc. from the MANUAL page.
- the track should be controlled from an analog modulation source (e.g. a
sawwave from a LFO). MIDIbox SEQ doesn't provide analog inputs, so that
an external CV-to-MIDI interface is required.
Note that this interface also has to scale the CC value over the desired
step range. If the modulation source should sweep over step 1..16, then
the CV-to-MIDI interface has to scale down the converted value to the
CC value range 0..15!
- added new Fx which allows to send to one or more additional MIDI channels
from a single track with various behaviours (forward to all, alternate
between channels, randomly select channel)
The new functions can be configured at the Fx->Dupl (like Duplicate) page
- groove page: added possibility to change the intensity for all tracks at once
- MBSEQ_HW.V4 file: SR numbers for BUTTON and LED functions which are
assigned to the BLM8x8 matrix (-> Wilba's Frontpanel) are now named M1..M8
instead of 17..24
See also the configuration template under hwcfg/wilba/MBSEQ_HW.V4
The old syntax is still provided to keep old MBSEQ_HW.V4 files compatible.
Once the new SRIO_NUM_SR parameter is set to 17 or more SRs, the new syntax
has to be used.
- MBSEQ_HW.V4 file: new parameter SRIO_NUM_SR allows to specify the maximum
number of DIN/DOUT shift registers in a chain. Up to 23 DINs/DOUTs can be
chained now - this is also the new default value in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 templates.
- whenever a MBSEQ_HW.V4 file is uploaded with the MIOS Filebrowser, the
configuration will be automatically reloaded (no need to reset the core)
- official support for Ilmenator's Track Position Display.
See also this wiki page.
An example configuration (TPD directly connected to J2 of Wilba's Frontpanel PCB)
can be found under hwcfg/wilba_tpd/MBSEQ_HW.V4
- the TPD display mode can now be configured in the Utility->Options menu (item #11)
- added new MIOS Terminal commands: new, saveas, save, load, delete, session, sessions
- removed MSD (mass storage device) mode to save some memory.
With the MIOS Filebrowser (integrated into MIOS Studio) this mode has a good
replacement meanwhile. For direct access to the SD Card another application (like
MIDIO128) could be temporary uploaded... or the SD Card can be plugged into
a common SD Card reader.
- Options page has been overworked, so that more options can be added in future
- experimental: if Live mode or a MIDI Router based "Track" or "Sel.Trk" is active,
and Note, CC, PitchBender, Program Change is received on the selected IN Port,
the corresponding track layer (or LFO CC) will be muted completely, or temporary
for a given number of steps.
This allows to temporary overrule events generated by the sequencer from
an external MIDI keyboard or controller.
This feature has to be configured in the UTILITY->Options page, it's disabled by default!
- activate the ALL function (press ALL button) in the mute page to get a new
menu page which allows to mute/unmute all tracks, layers of current track or
mute&layers of all tracks.
Sidenote: this obsoletes the UTILITY->MUTE and UNMUTE function, which might
be replaced by something else in future.
- the 6 new mute/unmute functions are now also accessible from dedicated buttons
(and LEDs). They have to be assigned in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file.
- it's now possible to control the track mutes via CCs.
The first CC (for the first track) has to be configured in the MENU->MIDI->Ext.Ctrl
page. The remaining tracks are controlled from the 15 consecutive CCs.
E.g. if the CC number is set to 16, the mutes of track 1-16 are controlled with
CC#16 .. CC#31
- it's now possible to dump a mixer map via CC. The CC has to be configured in the
- a CC assigned to a sequencer layer won't be sent if it's also assigned to
the LFO "Extra CC"
- if a track is initialized, CC layers will be assigned to "off" by default
(no CC will be sent). The desired CC number has to be set explicitly before a
CC layer will send an event.
- in record mode, incoming CC events will be automatically assigned to free CC
layers so that no pre-configuration is required (like known from MBSEQ V4L).
A CC layer is "free" (unassigned) as long as the CC number is turned "off". This
is the default setting for all CC layers after initialisation, and can be changed
in the MENU->EVENT page if desired.
- Trigger/Layer/303 edit view working again
- it's now possible to send parameter changes, done from the user interface,
to a specified MIDI output port. This allows to record such changes with a DAW.
The output port has to be selected in the MIDI->Ext.Ctrl page, where also the
input port and channel is specified.
- a very useful "quick save" function has been added which significantly improves
the song phrases handling.
The new function will store the current mixer and pattern setup into predefined
After the store operation, following references will be copied into the phrase
slot of the song:
- Phrase A will use Mixer Map #1 and Patterns 1:A1 2:A1 3:A1 4:A1
- Phrase B will use Mixer Map #2 and Patterns 1:A2 2:A2 3:A2 4:A2
- Phrase C will use Mixer Map #3 and Patterns 1:A3 2:A3 3:A3 4:A3
- Phrase P will use Mixer Map #16 and Patterns 1:B8 2:B8 3:B8 4:B8
How to use this function:
- 1st phrase step: the current mutes
- 2nd phrase step: selects the new mixer map
- 3rd phrase step: selects the new pattern set
- 4th phrase step: jumps to the 3rd phrase step (could be useful in song mode)
Start a new session, edit some tracks, start jamming.
Whenever you've found sequences which play well together, change to the SONG page,
press&hold the SELECT button, then select "Save&Take over Patterns" with GP button 16.
Thereafter release the SELECT button, and select the target phrase slot with
one of the GP buttons -> this will store the current mutes/mixer map/patterns
into the predefined bank positions and insert references into the phrase slot.
Now you can continue jamming, change tracks, change mixer values, change mutes.
Whenever you found a new nice working sequence, go to the SONG page and store
it into another phrase slot (or overwrite an existing slot).
The stored phrases can be restored as usual with the GP buttons in the song page.
- it's now possible to specify the initial CC value (for the CLEAR and INIT
function) in the UTILITY->Options page
- LFO: CC layer modulation is working properly again
- Mixer Map not switched on pattern changes anymore (this is actually only
part of the "Remix" feature).
To get the Remix function properly working again, please open your
MBSEQ_GC.V4 file with the MIOS Filebrowser, search for "PatternMixerMapCoupling"
and set it to 1.
If this parameter doesn't exist yet, please create it:
- the MIDI router forwards SysEx messages regardless if channels are filtered,
or "All" is used. It's ensured that messages are only sent once if multiple
router nodes forward to the same destination port.
- added optional "SAVE" and "SAVE_ALL" button function to the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file
- it's now possible to change the mixer map name.
In the mixer page, press SELECT + GP16 button to enter the name editor.
- LFO page: the current CC can be sent manually by pressing the GP14 button.
- Multi-Arp events are working like intended (again)
- MBHP_IIC_MIDI working properly again on a STM32 core (issue was caused by a compiler change)
- Track event configuration page: if a parameter layer is configured for CC,
Pitchbender or Program Change, it's now possible to send the event manually
by pressing one of the GP buttons below the controller configuration (GP10, 11, 12, 13)
- MIDI remote keyboard function now also deactivated when Note On with velocity 0 received
- "SD Card connected" message not displayed after boot anymore, instead only
when the SD Card is exchanged
- whenever the ALL function is active, you can now directly select the steps
which should be modified with the GP buttons (LEDs will show the selection pattern)
- the ALL function has been enhanced:
The "selected step" can either be changed with the datawheel, or it will be
changed if the ALL function isn't active (as before)
- press & hold the ALL button and move the encoder of the already selected step
(marked with >...<) to change all steps to the same value (like before)
- if ALL button not pushed (but active), move the encoder of the already selected step
(marked with >...<) to change all step values relatively (like before)
- NEW: if ALL button is active (regardless if pushed or not), and the encoder
of an unselected step is moved, the editor will generate a ramp between the
selected step and the moved encoder.
This feature has been borrowed from Sequentix Cirklon - thanks for the inspiration! :-)
- bugfix for "single_usb" option
- the MIDI router provides the new destination "Sel.Trk"
Usecase: MIDI events, such as CC or Notes, should be sent from a master keyboard
or MIDI controller to the MIDI port and channel of the currently selected track.
- support for the "single_usb" option, which can be enabled with the
bootloader update application V1.012 ("set usb_single 1")
Use this option if you are working with a Windows PC which can't handle
the 4 USB ports correctly (e.g. stucking MIDI, Filebrowser operations are failing, etc.)
- if not in song mode, the Rew/Fwd buttons can now be used to select the step view.
- the MIDI router provides the new destination "Track".
If this destination is selected, incoming MIDI events will be routed to the
MIDI port and channel of a track depending on the incoming MIDI channel number.
Usecase: MIDI events, such as CC or Notes, should be sent from a master keyboard
or MIDI controller to synths which are assigned to different port and MIDI channels
in the track configuration.
Just select the track with the MIDI channel on your keyboard/controller, the router
will take care that the events reach the right destination.
- it's now possible to send a CC when a track has been selected.
This feature allows to synchronize the track selection with a DAW.
It has to be configured in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file (search for TRACK_CC in hwcfg/*/MBSEQ_HW.V4)
- LPC17: robustness of LCD driver has been improved
- the MIDI configuration page got a new subpage called "Ext.Ctrl"
This subpage allows to assign CCs to functions like Morph Value,
Scale, Song, Phrase, Patterns, Banks, All Note Off, etc.
Some of these functions can also be assigned to a Program Change Event.
The MIDI port and channel over which these functions are accessible is free assignable.
The MIDI channel is disabled by default, which means that the Ext Ctrl. feature
has to be explicitly enabled in the MIDI->Ext Ctrl. page!!
- improved transpose handling if loopback track is running with sustain enabled,
or with notes > step length (glide)
- note stack now automatically cleared if transpose was controlled by a loopback
track, and then manually from an external keyboard.
- it's now possible to transpose with chords (or multiple notes) from a loopback
- the "sdcard_format" command allows to format the connected SD Card with FAT32
from the MIOS Terminal
- added BLM_GP_ALWAYS_SELECT_MENU_PAGE option to MBSEQ_V4.HW file
- USB MSD driver: changed endpoint to avoid conflict with MIDI driver.
Note that it's still not possible to use MSD and MIDI in parallel,
but Windows and MacOS should accept the connection (again).
- Event configuration page: the selected layer type now has to be confirmed with
GP button below the appr. item.
A warning message will pop up to notify about this unusual data entry method.
In addition, the value will be marked with '!' as long as it doesn't match with
currently active value.
- it's now possible to delete a session from the main page
- support for GM5 driver under Windows.
MacOS and Linux users: just install this update, no additional changes required.
- upload the application with MIOS Studio
- close MIOS Studio
- install the GM5 driver which is available at the the MIOS32 download page.
- start MIOS Studio -> 4 "GM5" USB ports should be visible
- USB device settings have been changed.
IMPORTANT: please install MIOS32 Bootloader V1.010 before uploading
the application! Otherwise code upload via USB won't work anymore!
(Backup: upload via MIDI IN1/OUT1)
- support for MIOS Filebrowser, which will be part of MIOS Studio 2.4
- fixed potential stack overflow in LPC17 build
- the DEBOUNCE_DELAY parameter of the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file will now be also taken
for the BLM8X8 (Wilba's Frontpanel)
- Mixer: setup now automatically loaded when a new mixer map is selected
- Sessions: the SAVE function now also stores the current mixer map
- corrected tap tempo function
- The "Guide Track" now synchronizes tracks and pattern changes independent
from the "steps per measure" option
- it's now possible to change or disable a guide track from a song position entry
- the "RATOPC" (restart all tracks on pattern change) option now resets the track
synchronously with the next step
- the clear button now clears the track immediately (2 second delay has been
removed). Please discuss in the MIDIbox forum if you don't like this change.
- the copy/paste/undo functions now also copy the track and drum instrument names
- fixed potential hard fault when storing preset pattern
- STM32: MBHP_ETH module working properly again
- fixed initialisation of MBHP_AOUT module
- Song Mode now provides a "Guide Track" which can be configured
by pressing SELECT in SONG page: the length of this track defines
the loop length and once the last loop has been played, all tracks
will be synchronized to step 1.
This allows to program breaks with a step length which is independent
from the measure.
- Phrase Mode now syncs the pattern changes to the measure of SyncChange
is set in the UTIL->OPT page
- Phrase Mode manually triggers the "synch-to-measure" option for all tracks
to ensure that all tracks are re-synchronized to step 1
- MBSEQ_HW.V4 files: changed encoder mode to MIOS_ENC_MODE_DETENTED3
since it's compatible with most encoders
- added Euclidean Rhythm Generator for drum and synth sequences.
The page can be entered by pressing&holding SELECT in the edit menu -& GP16
- fixed stack overflow which happened when incoming OSC messages were forwarded
to OSC in Live mode (they are now automatically filtered to avoid feedback loops)
- fixed group selection in BUTTON_DIRECT_TRACK1...16
- a new Pattern Remix feature has been implemented by Midilab.
It's optimized for live sessions and got a special page:
The full documentation can be found here
- pattern names can be previewed before they are selected
- patterns change when the selection button is pressed a second time
- mixer maps are dumped with pattern change
- the "Remix" function allows to select tracks which should be kept
(not overwritten by pattern changes)
- allows to synchronize with Ableton Live clips
Note that the correct function of this feature requires, that the remix page
is assigned to a dedicated button. This has to be done in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file
(new entry: BUTTON_PATTERN_RMX) - e.g. you could assign it to F4
- corrected SysEx output for LPC17
- improved MIDI OUT throughput for LPC17
- pattern page: the ALL button now allows to change all patterns
to the same number at once (banks won't be influenced by ALL button).
- the ALL function will always be turned off when changing to another page.
- song page: the previously "Stop" action has been renamed to "End" - it doesn't
stop the sequencer anymore, instead it only exits song mode and loops the
current pattern set endless (e.g. to fade out or as bridge before you select
the next song).
- song page: press SELECT+GP16 to take over the current pattern set into the
selected song position - this function can be used for quick song/phrase edits.
- song page: in song mode it's now possible to select a phrase with GP buttons
(like in Phrase mode).
Difference: the song positions will be played until they are looping or "End"
is reached. This allows to split a song into multiple parts which are
- song page: Fwd/Rwd button change also the edit position in song page
- if the sequencer is started in song page, the song will directly jump to the
current edit position
- the main page now displays the effective BPM. If in slave mode, the received
BPM will be displayed.
- the BPM digit display shows the received BPM in slave mode.
- new layer type: program change
- LPC17 build: optimized MIDI IN handling
- LPC17 build: MIDI clock can now be received over MIDI IN1..4
- SysEx forwarding via MIDI router working (again)
- MIDI router supports 16 nodes now! (previously only 8)
- fixed bug in PitchBender Editing mode
- added new MIOS terminal commands:
- display network informations, modify network and OSC settings
- display MIDI router informations, modify MIDI router settings
- change BLM port remotely
- "store" and "restore" the session remotely
- BLM now supports Lemur on iPad
Example configuration (we assume that iPad IP address is 192.168.1.110):
(the commands can be entered in MIOS terminal).
- set osc_remote 3 192.168.1.110
- set osc_local_port 3 8000
- set osc_remote_port 3 8000
- set osc_mode 3 1
- set blm_port OSC3
On your iPad, set the IP address of your MIDIbox with port 8000
- BLM now allows to record MIDI notes in the keyboard page
- in edit page the datawheel can now be used for different purposes:
it can scroll the cursor, the step view, can change the value (as before)
and it can be used to select the parameter/trigger layer.
The function can be selected by pressing SELECT + GP7/8
- RĂ´mulo aka. Midilab started to implement a footswitch function which
is especially useful for live recording and track modifications while
playing on a keyboard.
Press&Hold the footswitch to enable record mode, release it to disable
Tap the footswitch shortly to delete the track.
The footswitch can be assigned to a free DIN pin in MBSEQ_HW.V4
- note and chords can now be edited without immediate change by pressing&holding
the EDIT button. The new value will be taken over once another step is
edited, or the EDIT button is released.
- fixed potential buffer overrun when preset is stored
- bugfix: MIDI IN ports are working again on MBHP_CORE_STM32 build
- bugfix: CC values were influenced when they were displayed on the edit page
- Hawkeye fixed the BPM/STEP digits output and added a "TPD" (track position
display) option for those who like to add more blink to their MIDIbox!
- improved live-recording of CCs
- warning is print on screen if poly recording selected on a track with
only one (or none) note layer
- Drum live/step recording: disabled mapping of drum instruments
to keys C/C#/D/D#/... - it was too confusing.
- BPM LED Digit function: added optional 4th digit to display the value after the dot
- added optional LED digits to display the current step.
Anodes require a dedicated Shift Register, the 3 cathode lines can be shared with
the shift register which is used to drive the cathodes of the BPM LED Digits.
- added optional BPM (Tempo) encoder.
As usual the pinning can be configured in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file
- support for MIDI OUT4 and MIDI IN4
Provided by MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module only.
MIDI OUT4 is available at J4B.SD
MIDI IN4 is available at J4B.SC
- fixed USB issue under Win7 if the interface name hasn't been
customized in bootloader
- CC and PitchBender values only send on value changes anymore to save
MIDI bandwith on high-speed tracks
- Step record: simplified usage of poly mode. Now the step is automatically
cleared when all keys were released and new notes are entered.
- Step record: duration (note length) will now be recorded as well!
- Live record: some improvements for the "forward MIDI" option
- MSD mode (SD Card Reader) can now also be enabled with the "msd" command
in MIOS Terminal
- Move step: doesn't overwrite new selection anymore
- MIDIbox SEQ V4 is not beta anymore - but we continue to increment the
version number and just leave out "beta" :-)
- compiled for new MIOS32 Bootloader V1.005
You can safely enable the "fastboot" option of the bootloader, so that
the application starts immediately after power-on
- for MBHP_CORE_LPC17: since this board doesn't provide a J5C connector,
following signals are available at J28:
- Clock: J28.SDA
- Start/Stop: J28.SC
- Gate 7: J28.WS
- Gate 8: J28.MCLK
- OSC Client/Server: support for TouchOSC protocol
- added multi copy function: press MENU+COPY to export all selected tracks
into the /PRESETS folder on SD Card. The resulting files are named
COPY[track].V4T (the [track] numbers are independent from the actual track
- added multi paste function: press MENU+PASTE to import "COPY[track].V4T"
files from the /PRESETS folder into all selected tracks, starting from
COPY1.V4T to (up to) COPY16.V4T
- use these new functions to quickly copy&paste tracks between patterns
and sessions, to create temporary backups, to duplicate tracks, or whatever.
Note that you can also import these COPY[track].V4T files from the
MENU->Event->PRESETS menu, e.g. to exclude certain parts of the preset
- buttons of Wilba's Frontpanel are now debounced
- USB update for MacOS 10.7 Lion
- Chords displayed correctly when a velocity layer is edited
- session can be selected again
- delayed mute/unmute which is synched to the measure.
It can be enabled individually in the global options menu (UTILITY->OPT)
- trigger assignment page: trigger layer of the current assignment automatically
selected (alternative way to select a trigger layer)
- random page: random values can now be generated for all parameter and trigger
layers (resp. drums: parameter and drum instruments).
The selection is scrollable with a GP encoder.
- random page: special behaviour for drum tracks: parameter layers and each
individual drum instrument can be randomized (no triggers in this mode
to keep the code simple)
- random page: new values will only be generated when "Generate" button is
pressed, or for a single layer if the GP button under the appr. layer is
- Handling of Start/Stop/Pause button changed for Slave and Auto Mode to allow
proper synchronisation to the measure when multiple sequencers are playing
Whenever a MIDI clock is received:
In order to notify that track outputs are disabled, the START/STOP/PAUSE
LED flashes to the beat.
- the STOP button won't stop the sequencer, but just disables the output of
all tracks (like a Mute). The step progression continues to run.
- the START button won't start the sequencer immediately.
Instead MBSEQ will wait for the next measure and then enable track output again.
- the PAUSE button will enable/disable track output, but the track progression
continues to run.
- Added Live page.
The page can be entered by pressing UTILITY -> Live (GP Button #11)
Inside this page notes (and drum instruments) can be played with the GP buttons.
In addition the 4 MIDI IN Busses for Transposer/Arpeggiator/Live Playing can be
configured like in the MIDI page.
Following Live Play parameters are available:
- track selection
- track mute/unmute
- Octavewise transpose
- Velocity (only used for GP button keyboard)
- FTS (Force-To-Scale)
- FX on (enables Humanizer, LFO, Limiter and Echo)
Note: the Echo effect will only work when the sequencer is running!
- parameter layer mutes are now also working for
- Echo Fx now also works with "zero delay". In conjunction with the Note incrementer
and (optionally) force to scale this results into a "poor man's chord" mechanism. ;-)
- Move function works beyond step 16 as intended again
- Global/Session bookmarks: the first 8 bookmarks are now stored in the root
directory, the remaining 8 bookmarks in the session directory
- hwcfg/wilba/MBSEQ_HW.V4: F1 button now assigned to bookmark page
- added 16 dedicated bookmark buttons which can be assigned in MBSEQ_HW.V4
- Manual Trigger Request: now synchronized to next step
- edit page in drum mode: parameter layer is displayed when parameter
select button is pressed
- added "RATOPC" (restart all tracks on pattern change) option to UTIL->Opt menu
- added bookmark function:
- Press MENU+SELECT to enter the bookmark page
- Alternatively this function can be assigned to a dedicated button/LED
- inside this menu, press a GP button (shortly) to recall a bookmark
- press&hold a GP button for 3 seconds to store a bookmark
- the bookmark function stores following UI settings:
- Bookmark name
- Current page
- Parameter Layer
- Trigger Layer
- Step View
- Edit View
- Solo/All/Fast/Metronome/Loop/Follow button mode
- Bookmarks are stored into the MBSEQ_BM.V4 file, which can be edited with
a common text editor.
This is the only way to change a bookmark name (5 characters)
- it's possible to prevent, that a certain UI parameter will be overwritten by a
bookmark. This can (only) be done by editing the MBSEQ_BM.V4 file:
Just replace the '+' sign at the beginning of the parameter name by a '-' sign.
- BUTTON_PAR_LAYER_A working again (was overwritten by BUTTON_DIRECT_TRACK16)
- CPU load reduced by more than 20%, this especially results into faster SD Card operations!
- fixed move step function for moves which select the next step view
- Length Page: quick selection now also available for loops.
- Length Page: length/loop presets are now stored in MBSEQ_C.V4 file (located
in session directory) under the name "QuickSelLength", "QuickSelLoopLength" and
They could be edited with a text editor if you would like to have different values.
- track transpose page now always starts with "octave" item instead
of "semitones" item
- it's now possible to define 16 individual "direct track selection" buttons
in MBSEQ_HW.V4 (search for BUTTON_DIRECT_TRACK*)
- it's now possible to define 2 shift registers for outputing the current track
selection in MBSEQ_HW.V4 (search for TRACKS_DOUT_L_SR and TRACKS_DOUT_R_SR)
- copy function works correctly now if a track is pasted into another track
with different partitioning in Paste/Clr = Steps mode (selectable in Utils->Options page)
- The metronome function considers the "steps per measure" correctly now
- received MIDI song position command sets the track positions correctly
now - this is important when MBSEQ is controlled by a clock master.
E.g. Logic Studio sends startpoint-1 when the sequencer continues
in a loop
- bugfix: step view displays steps >= 17 correctly again
- bugfix: step length displayed correctly again in "step view"
- new feature for more comfortable editing of multi-note tracks:
if assigned parameter layer is Note or Chord, and currently 0, re-start at C-3 resp. A/2
when value is incremented
- implemented various "Edit Views".
Press SELECT button to select the view in EDIT screen.
Following views are available:
- Step View: you already know it
- Trigger View: left page allows to select the step, Gate,
Accent, Roll, Glide, Skip, Random Gate and Random Velocity.
Right Page allows to edit up to 8 parameter layers.
- Layer View: allows to select the step, Gate and up to 14
parameter layer. Especially nice for custom chord editing.
- 303 View: provides a 303ish interface to select the Step,
Gate, Accent, Glide, Octave, Note, Velocity and up to 9
additional parameter layers
- Step Select: allows to select the steps which are modified
by the ALL function
- glide trigger now handled (much) more 303-like
- added testmode for AOUT interface connections.
Enter "testaoutpin" in MIOS terminal for further informations
- step record function now allows to define the step incrementer (+0..16)
in "Record Mode" item
- BLM keyboard mode: each column plays now an assigned drum instrument
o new BLM entry mode 303:
- first row selects accent
- second row selects glide
- third and fourth row select octave (4 different selections)
- remaining rows select key of octave and set/clear gate
- new session now initialized correctly after "SaveAs..."
- optional "Tap Tempo" button is working now
- optional "Left" button is working now in all menu pages
- "SAVE AS.." name check now working as intended:
- if filename is identical to current session, only the current 4 patterns will
be stored (like if you would push the SAVE button)
- if filename is not identical, the current session will be transfered into a new directory
- now it's possible to import/export songs/mixer maps/groove templates/local config as well
- added DEBOUNCE_DELAY to MBSEQ_HW.V4
- fixed pattern change on Normal->Drum tracks
- a powerful session import/export function has been added.
It allows you to copy one or multiple patterns to any session location.
Both functions are available in the Utility->Disk page
- "Save as.." shows the current session name as default name
- added LED and BUTTON functions for TRACK_MODE, TRACK_GROOVE, TRACK_LENGTH,
TRACK_DIRECTION page to MBSEQ_HW.V4 file
MORPH and TRANSPOSE renamed to TRACK_MORPH and TRACK_TRANSPOSE
- added LED and BUTTON function for FAST2, which is a second "fast" button with
dedicated button behaviour. In distance to the common FAST button, the button
behaviour is configured for push (and not for toggle) mode.
The intended usecase is to use this function with push-button encoders.
- Echo function: support for "dotted delays": 32d 16d 8d 4d 2d
In order to keep existing patterns compatible, they are mapped to parameter
value 16..21, but displayed/selected in the right order in the Fx->Echo page.
Please note that it isn't a bug that 32d is displayed *after* 16T, 16d *after*
8T etc - the entries are ordered by the resulting delay length!
- a "Forward MIDI" option has been added to the record page.
Previously events played by an external keyboard were always immediately
forwarded to the MIDI output. Now it's possible to disable this function for
keyboards w/o a "local off" function.
- the quantization of recorded MIDI events is now freely configurable in the
Than lower the percentage value, than lower the quantization (-> events not
shifted to the next step)
- implemented tap tempo function.
It can be accessed in the BPM menu page (rightmost GP button), or with MENU+PLAY
- fixed "accent on stretched notes" issue
- fixed pattern synchronisation issue at very first played pattern in song mode
- fixed bug in session load function which happened when no MBSEQ_GC.V4 file exists on SD Card
- added new "udpmon <0..4>" terminal command which allows to monitor incoming and outgoing
UDP packets, e.g. to debug OSC settings and/or to determine the port of incoming OSC
In MIOS Terminal, use "udpmon 3" to display all packets with port number >= 1024
- now we have a special CV configuration page which allows:
- to select V/Oct, Hz/V and Inverse curve for each CV channel
- the slew rate 0..255 mV for each CV channel
- the pitch range (for pitchbend events)
- the gate polarity for each CV channel
- to calibrate each channel
- to set the DIN Sync Clock PPQN Divider and Pulse Width
- AOUT Module Type (previously hard-configured in MBSEQ_HW.V4 file)
- each CV channel has now an own notestack.
This is especially nice if AOUT channels are controlled through the MIDI Router
from an external MIDI keyboard (live)
- fixed a crash on rescheduled notes (caused by a gcc bug) - this bug only exists in beta26
- BLM keyboard mode: now inverted (lowest button row plays highest velocity)
- BLM keyboard mode takes octave/semitones transpose values into account
- copy/paste function: if Paste/Clr track is activated in options menu, channel and
port setting will be copied as well.
This allows to copy&paste a complete track from one pattern to another.
- Paste/Clr steps/track setting in options menu is now a global setting and will
be written into MBSEQ_GC.V4 instead of (the session specific) MBSEQ_C.V4 file.
In future versions it might be a good idea to move global settings into a separate menu page.
- SD Card error messages will be sent to MIOS terminal
- added MIOS terminal commands "play" and "stop", so that the sequencer can also be
started/stopped from MIOS Studio
- the status LED of the core module flashes on each beat now
- bugfix for FAST button
- OSC support for "Pianist Pro" format (an iPhone/iPad application)
Now you can send notes and pitch changes from Pianist Pro to your
MBSEQ, and convert them into MIDI events
- support for a third MIDI IN/OUT port.
The digital MIDI OUT signal (open drain!) is available at J5B.A6
The digital MIDI IN signal is available at J5B.A7
Note that the MIDI IO circuit (220 Ohm Resistors, optocoupler, etc.) is not
part of the MBHP_CORE_STM32 module and has to be added externally.
This IO port can especially be used for a dedicated BLM connection (this will
be my personal usecase)
- Gate #7 and #8, which were previously available at J5B.A6 and J5B.A7, are
now available at J5C.A10 and J5C.A11
- now each OSC port has an individual configuration set which consists of
the Remote IP, Remote Port, Local Port and Transfer Mode
- an OSC Transfer Mode has been added, it can be configured in the network
configuration page for each OSC port.
In MIDI mode, all events generated by the track will be embedded into a
'm' type packet. This mode allows to tunnel MIDI events via ethernet to
a proxy which runs on the host (or any device which is able to convert
In "Text Msg (Integer)" and "Text Msg (Float)" mode, the OSC packets will
be encoded the following way:
<chn> range: 1..16
- Note Events: /<chn>/note <note> <velocity>
Integer: note and velocity in range 0 .. 127
Float: note still as integer, velocity in range 0.0 .. 1.0
- Poly Pressure Events: /<chn>/polypressure <note> <pressure>
Integer: note and pressure in range 0 .. 127
Float: note still as integer, pressure in range 0.0 .. 1.0
- CC Events: /<chn>/cc <cc-number> <value>
Integer: value in range 0 .. 127
Float: cc-number still as integer, value in range 0.0 .. 1.0
- Program Change Events: /<chn>/programchange <value>
Integer: value in range 0 .. 127
Float: value in range 0.0 .. 1.0
- Aftertouch Events: /<chn>/aftertouch <pressure>
Integer: pressure in range 0 .. 127
Float: pressure in range 0.0 .. 1.0
- Pitchbend Events: /<chn>/pitchbend <value>
Integer: value in range -8192..8192
Float: value in range -1.0 .. 1.0
- OSC option now supports SysEx transfers (SysEx stream is embedded into blobs)
- it's now possible to route USB/MIDI/IIC/AOUT ports to the OSC ports in
the MIDI Router page.
- SysEx streams will now be forwarded by the MIDI Router as well.
The Chn setting has to be set to "All" for source and destination port.
This allows you to access the SysEx functions of your synth - it's even
possible to upload a new firmware to a MIDIbox which is connected
to a MIDI port of MBSEQ now.
- MIDI->Misc menu: BLM can now be assigned to an OSC port
- support for OSC (requires MBHP_ETH module)-
4 OSC ports are available, currently they only send MIDI packets.
A MIDI<->OSC proxy is currently only available for MacOS (on request).
An easy to use Juice based Proxy is planned and will be released soon.
(Firmware-)configurable OSC packets will be available in one of the
- new network configuration page for the MBHP_ETH module
- the debug terminal now supports a "network" command to retrieve
the current status of the network configuration.
- now we have global configurations which are stored independent from the
session configuration in the "/MBSEQ_GC.V4" file.
Following parameters have been moved to this file:
- probability parameter now incremented correctly in edit page
- if the track plays multiple notes, gate is only cleared if
all notes are set to "---"
- BLM: triggers now displayed correctly in all stepviews
- "external restart" sends FA at the right moment now
- track transpose page now always starts with "semitones" item instead
of "octave" item
- running status optimisation can now be optionally disabled in
the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file for MIDI devices that don't fully comply
to the MIDI specification.
Search for "RS_OPTIMISATION" in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 templates for
- chaselight issue for mono colour 4x16 BLM fixed
- trigger assignment page now works as intended in drum mode
- new MIDI Bus parameters now loaded correctly after session change
- another fix for crash if preset name is longer than 7 characters
- ongoing preparation work for BLM16x16
Features will be described under midibox_seq_manual_blm.html.
- the simple Transpose/Arpeggiator MIDI split function has been replaced by
a new bus routing concept.
There are 4 busses that can be configured in the MIDI page.
Each bus provides a dedicated MIDI port, channel and lower/upper MIDI note
to define a keyboard range.
- the bus can either be routed to the transpose/arpeggiator function ("T&A Mode"),
or it can be used to play the currently selected track "live" ("Play Mode")
- Track Mode page: now allows to select the bus over that the transpose/arpeggiator
function should be controlled
- Record function: whenever active, the MIDI port and channel used for recording
won't be routed to Transpose/Arpeggiator/Play bus.
- the "Roll" trigger now selects a 2D10 roll instead of 3D08 since it's more
useful in most cases.
In order to apply customized roll values, please use the roll function of
the parameter layer instead of the Roll trigger.
- implemented "Roll2" parameter layer function.
This alternative solution to "Roll" allows to define the number of step repeats,
and the distance between them.
- added optional button/LED function for UNDO
- fixed MIDI clock issue sent to USB5..USB8 (resulted into multiplied tempo
values in some DAWs)
- CC assignment displayed correctly in mixer page
- LFO CC not sent anymore if track is muted
- fixed crash if preset name is longer than 7 characters
- fixed step selection of copy function
- inverted encoder behaviour in mute page: moving clockwise will unmute,
moving counter clockwise will activate mute
- if a previously "empty" pattern/map/song is stored without name, it will be
labled with "unnamed" now.
- LFO effect now works on CC parameters as intended
- If a track is in CC mode, a CC/Pitchbender value will only be sent if
the gate trigger is set.
CCs/Pitchbender events are sent for each step regardless of the gate
as before if the track is in Note or Chord mode.
- transpose now works correctly on CC and Pitchbender values, but only if the
track is configured for CC mode.
Transpose will be ignored for CC/Pitchbender events if track is in
Note or Chord mode.
- AOUT gates now 0V after power-on
- some minor bugfixes
- taken over track/layer button/LED usage of MBSEQ V3 (important if you are
using the old frontpanel):
- pattern page: track buttons have the same function like group buttons.
They allow to quickly jump between groups to select a new pattern
- song page: track/group and parameter layer buttons can be used to
set the cursor position while editing a song entry
- AOUT driver working again (was not working in beta19)
- there is now a separate port/channel setting for recording, it can be
directly changed in the UTILITY->RECORD page
- the MIDI file import function now starts with the first track that contains
MIDI events to ensure that MIDI file tracks are aligned properly to MBSEQ tracks.
This is a workaround if the DAW uses the first track as a "master track" to
store tempo informations. Previously this always resulted into an empty
G1T1 track, and sequences started at G1T2.
- changed order of instruments in initial drum map
(HiHats now at position 3, 4 and 5)
- implemented MIDI file import function (UTILITY->DISK->IMPORT)
MIDI files have to be copied into the /midi directory of the SD Card.
All tracks are imported at once (up to 16) in the same order they are stored
in the .mid file. Accordingly, track assignments can be done within the
.mid file before it is imported (e.g. edit the .mid file with your DAW)
Currently only MIDI Notes and drums are supported (no CCs, no Pitchbender).
To import drum tracks, change the import mode from "Note" to "Drum". This
mode especially allows to control the velocity of each step separately.
Currently drum instruments are only mapped to a pre-selection of 4/8/16
notes - this map cannot be customized yet!
Since MIDIbox SEQ is a step sequencer, notes will be quantised with a
selectable resolution (16th, 32th or 64th).
Also the number of layers/drum instruments is selectable (4, 8 or 16).
Than more layers are available, than more notes can be played at the
same step. In "Note" mode, all notes share the same velocity and length
value, in "Drum" mode each step and instrument has a dedicated velocity
If the imported track contains different velocity or length values for
polyphonic played notes, and this characteristic is important, it is
recommended to split the track into multiple pieces (e.g. for long and
for short notes) and to import them into separate MBSEQ tracks.
Another hint: if notes of the imported track don't start exactly at the
16th/32th/64th note position (e.g. because they have a "swing" feel), it
is recommended to quantize the notes in a DAW before the import.
The swing feel can be added again after the import (GROOVE page).
All tracks will be initialized depending on the selected resolution and
layers before the import is started. Than higher the resolution, or than more
layers are selected, than less bars can be imported (number of bars is displayed
The MIDI port will always be set to DEFAULT during import. The MIDI channel will
be set to the channel of the first played note (for each track separately).
MIDI Files can be imported while the sequencer is running. This allows you to
search for a certain file, but also to try different parameters during runtime.
- some minor bugfixes
- the current patterns/mixer map/song/groove templates will be cleared before a new session is created.
- last patterns now correctly selected after startup
- implemented "Sessions" concept. Now you can change between different setups
stored on a single SD Card.
See this page for more informations
- Sessions can be opened/saved/created in the main menu (press EXIT button)
o your old session isn't lost, it's just at the wrong place.
To take over this session:
- enter MSD mode (UTILITY->DISK)
- create a backup of all *.V4 files on your PC (recommended for Beta17!!!)
- create a /SESSIONS directory if it doesn't exist yet
- create a session subdirectory (8 characters maximum)
if you name it "DEFAULT", it will be loaded after startup!
- copy following files:
MBSEQ_B1.V4, MBSEQ_B2.V4, MBSEQ_B3.V4, MBSEQ_B4.V4,
MBSEQ_S.V4, MBSEQ_G.V4, MBSEQ_C.V4
- create a second session subdirectory
- copy following files:
MBSEQ_B5.V4, MBSEQ_B6.V4, MBSEQ_B7.V4, MBSEQ_B8.V4,
MBSEQ_S.V4, MBSEQ_G.V4, MBSEQ_C.V4
- rename these files to MBSEQ_B1.V4 to MBSEQ_B4.V4
- don't copy MBSEQ_HW.V4 (always read from root directory)
- remove the copied *.V4 files from root directory, or move
them to another directory for backup
- unmount the SD Card on your computer
- wait until MSD mode is disabled!
- press EXIT, thereafter OPEN the session by pressing GP button 9
- changed default track configuration to 256 steps/4 parameter layers
since it's more useful in most cases
- MIDI->Section Control: Octaves which are not taken for section selection
can now be optionally forwarded to a configurable MIDI port.
This saves you from adding a keyboard splitter to your MIDI keyboard, if
you want to play a MIDI instrument from an unused keyboard zone.
- fixed bug in live recording function (notelength sometimes not recorded correctly)
- MIOS terminal functions have been added. Just enter "help" in the terminal
which has been integrated into MIOS Studio 2
- copy function now works correctly together with the section concept
- Follow function now available as dedicated button and with key combination MENU+EXIT
- the Follow Song option under UTILITY->Options has been removed. The selected
follow mode won't be stored on SD Card anymore. Follow is deactivated after
power-on and has to be manually enabled (e.g. by pressing MENU+EXIT)
- Track sections which should be played can now be selected via MIDI
Keyboard as demonstrated in this video.
Each group (G1/2/3/4) has a separate selection zone on the keyboard.
Key C..B select section 1..12, the first key of the octave (C) plays
the first section as usual, it has the same effect as if this feature
The width of a section depends on the track length.
E.g., if the track length is set to 32, and if it consists of 256 steps,
8 sections are available which can be selected with Key C/C#/D/D#/E/F#/F/F#/G
It is recommended to activate the "Follow" function under UTILITY->OPTIONS
when using this feature, so that the edit display gets automatically updated
whenever the section is changed.
- the MIDI configuration page has been overworked to handle the new parameters.
Track sections can be selected from a dedicated MIDI Port and Channel.
The keyboard zone assigned to the group can be changed, so that it's possible
to merge groups (e.g. all 4 groups controlled from a single octave).
- an individual section can be selected for each track in the StepView.
Press & Hold StepView + SELECT button, then press the GP button of the
This feature is also nice for editing large tracks!
- implemented CC#123 (All Notes Off) - it empties the note stacks if
value 0 is received. Values > 0 will be ignored
- bugfix for ALL button as reported by Gridracer
- prepared support for MBHP_BLM_SCALAR.
The MIDI port can be configured in Options menu (Utility->Opt.)
- various minor bugfixes
- of DIN Sync clock pulsewidth now definable in MBSEQ_HW.V4 file
- Parameter/Trigger Layer selection can now be quickly incremented/decremented
by pressing&holding Layer C button, and incrementing with Layer A button,
resp. decrementing with Layer B button.
- various minor bugfixes
- Tracks can now be stored into/loaded from preset files on SD Card.
This features opens some new possibilities:
The preset functions are available in the MENU->EVENT page
- you can store your favourite track configurations, melody lines,
drum loops, etc. in separate files to recall them later
- you can prepare drum maps for different instruments
- you can prepare CC setups for different instruments
- you can share the files (which are stored in the preset/ directory)
with other users
- you can view and edit the files with a common text editor.
You've to create a "presets" directory in the root directory of
your SD Card before using this feature (the DOSFS driver used
by MBSEQ doesn't support "mkdir")
- paste function now only changes track partitioning if the track mode of
target track is different. Other settings (number of parameter/trigger
layers, number of parameter/trigger steps, number of instruments) won't
be changed if track mode is equal.
- bugfix for BLM_BUTTONS_NO_UI option
- Tracks/Patterns/Songs can now be exported to a MIDI file.
The appr. menu function is available under UTILITY->DISK->Export
- a simple MIDI In/Out monitor page has been added.
The page can be entered via MENU+MIDI->MIDI Monitor (GP 16 button).
MIDI Clock and Active Sense events are filtered by default. The
filter option can be changed by pressing SELECT in the MIDI Monitor page.
- separated "pattern length" from "measure length" parameter in UTILITY->OPT menu.
Pattern length is used for synchronized pattern changes, and measure
length for the Synch-to-Measure function.
The left encoder below the item allows to select 16 step wise, the right
encoder and datawheel stepwise.
- Paste/Clr behaviour option in UTILITY->OPT menu implemented now
- HWCFG file option "BUTTONS_NO_UI" implemented now
- If a sequence is already running, the MIDI file player doesn't cause a restart
anymore. Instead in automatically synchs to the next 16 step based measure.
- Track Event page: to trigger the Init function, GP16 has to be pressed for
2 seconds (a message will be displayed to inform about this)
- fixed various minor bugs
- now your MIDIbox SEQ can play MIDI files, either exclusively or in parallel to
the 16 sequencer tracks.
MIDI files have to be copied into the /midi directory of your SD Card.
To select a MIDI file, go to the UTIL->DISK->PLAY page, and select
the desired modes (Exclusive/Parallel and Loop on/off)
- MIDI file import and export prepared in UI, but not implemented yet!
- MIDI port used to send a SysEx dump now selectable in file list browser
- fixed various minor bugs
- a new label editor allows to enter track and pattern names so fast and easy
like typing a SMS on a mobile phone. Use the first 10 GP buttons or encoders
to cycle the characters (like on a telephone keypad), and the remaining
buttons/encoders to select a character directly, move the cursor, delete/insert
characters, selecting a preset (with the encoder) and to exit the editor.
- implemented synchronous pattern change after x steps (x=1..256)
This function has to be enabled in the UTIL->OPT page.
The same number of steps is used for the Synch-to-Measure function.
- implemented Follow Song mode. It has to be enabled in UTIL->OPT menu.
- a warning message will be print if Synch-to-Measure is enabled, and a
track length greater than steps per measure is selected.
- CC number selected in Track Event and LFO Configuration page now has to be
confirmed with GP button below the appr. item.
A warning message will pop up to notify about this unusual data entry method.
In addition, the value will be marked with '!' as long as it doesn't match with
currently active value.
- fixed various minor bugs
- now it's possible to send SysEx dumps stored on SD Card to MIDI devices.
Preparation: create a directory called "sysex" on your SD Card, thereafter
create subdirectories for each MIDI Device you want to use.
Now copy .syx files into these directories which should be sent to the
Thats all! On your MIDIbox SEQ, change to the MENU->SYSEX menu, the
devices will be displayed on screen. Select a device to browse through
the file list. Select a file to send the dump.
Note: currently .syx files are only sent to the Default port (selected in
MIDI page). A "store .syx dump" function is planned for later releases.
- Menu page shows the current sequencer position in measure.step.microstep
- "About this MIDIbox": separated SD Card Info
- fixed various minor bugs
- overworked menu page selection (now uses new list browser)
- added new info page "About this MIDIbox" (at the end of menu list) to
A lot of additional informations are sent to the MIOS Terminal when
an item (displayed at left page) is selected with a GP or the SELECT
button. Use the datawheel or a GP encoder to browse through the list.
MIOS Terminal is part of MIOS Studio, a command line tool for MacOS
available as well.
- Length 128/256 quick selection won't be displayed anymore if track
partition doesn't allow this number of steps
- fixed various minor bugs
- MBSEQ Parameters are controllable via NRPN messages from external MIDI devices now.
See also doc/mbseqv4_cc_implementation.txt
- these parameters can also be controlled via Internal Loopback (Bus1 Port).
- Loopbacked CC Parameters are print in text format when edited
- implemented MIDI Remote Keyboard function (note: MBSEQ_HW.V4 has been updated)
See also doc/mbseqv4_remote_functions.txt
- fixed various minor bugs
- if global loop mode enabled, a "*LOOPED*" message will flash at the
right corner of the EDIT and STEPVIEW screen.
- following handling has been added to realize a "smooth startup" for
people who are in the progress of building their MBSEQ. The core is already
running, they connect a SD Card but don't have LCDs (so that messages
cannot be read):
- if a SD Card without Banks/Songs/Mixer Maps is connected, the appr.
files won't be created automatically anymore.
- messages are print on the PATTERN/SONG and MIXER page to inform
that files have to be created from the UTILITY->DISK menu
- in the DISK->UTILITY menu you will find a special option at the left
side which allows to start the formatting process (in fact, the SD
Card won't be formatted, but some files will be created)
- there is now a nice progress bar which informs about the state
as long as formatting is in progress
- CLEAR button has to be pressed for 2 seconds before action is triggered
- fixed BLM inversion mask configuration
- Song page got a copy/pase/clear/insert/delete function for song steps.
Press the SELECT button to select the utility function
- Copy/Paste/Clear button can be used in song page as well
- Song/Phrase mode not switched via SONG button anymore (this handling
is an artifact from MBSEQ V2/V3)
Instead, the mode can be changed with GP encoder #8 or #9
- a 16 step selection pattern for the ALL function is now available
(only selected steps will be touched by the ALL function).
It can be changed by pressing the SELECT button in EDIT page.
- the 16 instrument labels of a drum track can be edited now
- a nice graphical logo is now print during startup
- lower CPU load if no SD Card connected
- uses the new MBHP_CORE_STM32 module (ARM Cortex M3 based derivative)
- firmware completely rewritten in C - it can be optionally emulated under MacOS
- patterns/songs/grooves/configs/etc. now stored on SD Card in a FAT32 filesystem
- USB MIDI natively supported, MIDI events are sent more than 100 times faster to a DAW/virtual synth
- two "common" MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports, up to 8 additional MIDI OUT ports can be added with MBHP_IIC_MIDI modules
- track length increased to 256 steps
- track memory can be partitioned, e.g. 64 steps and 16 parameter layers, or 256 steps and 4 parameter layers. Each track provides 8 trigger layers
- resolution increased to 384ppqn (16 times faster than common MIDI clock)
- new MIDI event scheduler concept priorises and sorts queued MIDI events
- new parameter layer options like "Pitch Wheel", "Roll" and "Probability"
- special drum mode for easier editing of percusive patterns
- additional chords (now: 32 in Major/Minor scale)
- new track progression parameters like "Interval/Repeat/Skip"
- groove templates can now be customized and stored on SD Card
- Echo Fx with variable number of repeats, damp, tempo change, note incrementer (can be forced to scale!)
- LFO Fx with different waveforms, synchronized to track clock, step based selection of period and reset, assignable to Note/Velocity/Length + separate CC with definable ppqn resolution
- value range Limiter Fx
- Loop Fx (also nice for editing)
- overworked realtime record function with better quantisation
- hardware configuration file now read from SD Card. No need to recompile the firmware on changes.
Last update: 2018-01-06
Copyright © 1998-2018, Thorsten Klose. All rights reserved.